Today I’m sharing a NEAT recipe for potato clam soup. It’s actually a favorite lunch of our office staff and was created by my secretary, Jan, who is a terrific cook and is generously sharing her recipe.
I call this a NEAT recipe because of all the benefits it brings to the table. It is:
Every ingredient in this recipe helps with bone building:
• Potatoes, cooked with their skins for high potassium content, are highly alkalizing.
• Clams are a tasty protein source that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) says promote bone health. In TCM, any sea creature that can produce a bone-like shell is said to control a special energy essence that strengthens and fortifies the kidneys, which themselves are great controllers of bone health.
• Seasonings, including garlic and onions, are not only tasty and alkalizing but also contain bone-building quercetin and other flavonoids.
• Carrots add color and provide beta-carotene.
As you will see from the video and recipe below, this soup is easy to make and very satisfying, especially with a salad or aside dish of steamed vegetables. You’ll find more simple menu ideas in the bone-building eating plan of my Better Bones Package.
Jan’s Potato Clam Chowder Recipe: Serves 2 (can be doubled)2 large baking potatoes, skins on ½ carrot shredded 2 cloves garlic minced 1 medium onion, diced 2 8-oz. cans chopped clams in clam juice ½ cup to 1 cup of half and half or milk (depending on how much liquid you prefer) ½ tsp salt
1. Scrub potatoes, cutting out any eyes or bad spots.
2. Mince garlic, dice onion, shred carrots.
3. Place clams & clam juice, carrot, onion, & garlic in pot with potatoes.
4. Add just enough water, if necessary to cover contents of pot.
5. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender 10-15 minutes.
6. Remove cover last few minutes of cooking to reduce liquid if necessary.
7. Let cool slightly.
8. Mash some of the potatoes in pan with other ingredients or leave the in pieces.
9. Add ½-1 cup of milk or half and half depending on consistency you want.