What’s good for heart and bone health — including dark chocolate
With February bringing us both Heart Health Month and Valentine’s Day boxes full of dark chocolate, this is a great time to talk about the bone and heart health link.
In fact, osteoporosis can be described as calcium leaving the bones and going into the arteries. Research backs this up, as individuals with osteoporosis are more likely to develop heart disease as they age than are individuals without osteoporosis. Plus, a recent Canadian study showed that adults diagnosed with heart failure had double the risk of fracture as compared to those without heart failure.
I was recently fortunate enough to talk to Dr. Steven Masley, a Florida physician and author of The 30-Day Heart Tune Up: A Breakthrough Medical Plan to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. We talked about the powerful connection between bone health and heart health, and what we can do to keep calcium from shifting from our bones to our arteries to put us at greater risk of heart attacks, strokes and other serious health conditions.
As you’ll see in the video, Dr. Masley focuses on five food groups to benefit your bone health and heart health (for those of you who have been waiting, this is where the dark chocolate comes in!)
5 heart- and bone-friendly food groups from Dr. Masley
1. Fiber from fruits and vegetables provides alkalinity for our bones and helps dilate our arteries to increase circulation.
2. Healthy fat over “no fat.” Choose healthy fats like olive oil, avocado and seafood to reduce inflammation (good for both bone and cardiovascular health).
3. Lean protein is important for bone strength, metabolism and appetite suppression.
4. Beneficial beverages include a protein smoothie to start the day and pure, clean water to hydrate and flush out toxins. Dark chocolate cocoa is also a good treat!
5. Fabulous flavors keep healthy food delicious. Use herbs, spices, garlic in abundance. Dark chocolate is another option here.
Watch my video chat with Dr. Masley here
You can also preview chapter one of Dr Masley’s The 30-Day Heart Tune Up for free.
I’m Dr. Susan Brown. I am a clinical nutritionist, medical anthropologist, writer, and motivational speaker. Learn my time-tested 6 step natural approach to bone health in my online courses.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!