Dr. Brown in the news
Read about Your Bones & Celiac Disease in the August/September 2011 issue of Living Without magazine. Dr. Susan Brown was one of the experts quoted in this informative article for both men and women wanting to understand the connection between Celiac Disease and osteoporosis.
||Dr. Brown was interviewed and quoted in the May 2011 issue of Ladies’ Home Journal. The article, entitled “Bone Up!” encourages women in their 30s and 40s to take measures to reduce their osteoporosis risk.
Dr. Brown was interviewed and quoted in the January 2011 issue of Vogue magazine. The article is entitled “Breaking Point,” and discusses how doctors are beginning to rethink when and how to check for osteoporosis.
Dr. Brown’s book, The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide, was published in Hebrew by Focus Publishing, Ramat-Gan, Israel, in late 2009.
Dr. Brown was interviewed for an article on vitamin D deficiency by the Syracuse Post-Standard. The article was published on August 6, 2009 and can be found on-line at http://blog.syracuse.com/healthfitness/2009/08/
Dr. Brown has been interviewed on many radio shows, including:
- Aug 14, 2011, Bone Health Update, 2011, on Wendy Myerson’s show "Nutritional Insights," a weekly radio program devoted to your health on WSYR 570, Syracuse, NY.
- Jan 19, 2009 Radio Show with Dr. Sherrill Sellman on her show called “What Women Should Know.”
- Feb 22, 2009 Osteoporosis Update with Wendy Myerson’s show, “Nutritional Insights” on WSYR 570, Syracuse, NY
- Mar 7, 2009 Dr. Brown was interviewed on the weekly radio program “Quantum Health,” which is heard livestream at 920kvec.com
- Mar 8, 2010 Dr. Brown was a guest on Sherrill Sellman's Monday radio show, "What Women Must Know," on Monday, Mar. 8 at 2pm.
- June 11, 2010 Dr. Brown was interviewed on KCMX AM 880 Southern Oregon Live with Dr. Ross Pelton. She was a guest on Dr. Pelton's show Ask Dr. Ross and discussed osteoporosis and bone health.
- Sept 8, 2010 Dr. Brown was interviewed on Sept 8 on Karen Lineback's World of Pilates weekly radio show, Today's Woman.
- Sept 28, 2010 Dr. Susan Brown participated in the Midlife Women’s ExpertsSeries presented by Gregory Anne Cox on her Midlife with a Vengeance website. This was a free, online event featuring 14 experts whose mission was to give you the goods to rock your second half! Dr.Brown was interviewed on Sept. 28. She discussed the latest on her Bone Health Revolution.
- Oct 26, 2010 Dr. Brown spoke about her Bone Health Revolution on Tues, Oct. 26. She was the first expert in a FREE life-changing teleseminar produced by Pomegranate Health and WomenWise International called "Turn Back the Clock: How to Rejuvenate Your Hormones, Your Health, and Your Life -- Naturally! The whole event ran from Oct. 26 to Dec 6, 2010.
- Jan 30, 2011 Dr. Brown was on Wendy Myerson's weekly program, "Nutrional Insights," on WSYR 570, Syracuse, NY.
Dr. Susan Brown wrote a jacket cover evaluation for Dr. Keith McCormick’s new book, The Whole-Body Approach to Osteoporosis, published by New Harbinger Publications (2009).
We are pleased to announce the completion and publication of four major writing projects. These recent publications are:
- 2008. Vitamin D and fracture reduction: An evaluation of the existing research. Alternative Medicine Review, 13, (1), 21–33.
- 2007. Eight keys for preventing osteoporosis and building bone strength. Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association, 10 (2), 6–13.
- 2006. “Bone Nutrition,” a comprehensive chapter on nutrition and bone health written for a new medical textbook entitled Scientific Evidence for Musculoskeletal, Bariatric, and Sports Nutrition. This text was edited by Ingrid Kohlstadt and published by Francis Taylor.
- 2006. The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide, the first complete guide to the acidic and alkaline impact of common foods. Published by SquareOne Publishers.
Recent medical education lectures (CME’s)
- "Bone Health 2011: What’s New and Clinically Important," The American Nutraceutical Association's Fall 2011 Continuing Medical Education Conference, Nashville, TN, Oct 15, 2011.
- “Acid-Alkaline Balance and Its Implications for Health” (for Hawthorne University students and faculty), Webinar with Dr. Liz Lipski of Hawthorne University, November 4, 2008.
- “Better Bones, Better Body” (for Hawthorne University students and faculty), Webinar with Dr. Liz Lipski of Hawthorne University, October 21, 2008.
- “Eight Keys for Preventing Osteoporosis and Building Bone Strength,” American Nutraceutical Association, Long Beach, CA, March 24, 2007.
- “Maintaining Bone Strength During Weight Loss,” American College of Nutrition Annual Conference, Reno, NV, October 2006.
- “Better Bones, Better Body: Nonpharmacological Approaches to Osteoporosis,” Florida Academy of Family Medicine, Orlando, FL, July 2006.
For information on future lectures and presentations, see Upcoming Events.
Recent public lectures
- Dr. Brown presented a 90-minute workshop on acid-base diet and bones at the NY State Senior Nutrition Conference on Oct. 13, 2011, in Utica, NY.
- “Summer Tips to Maintain an Alkaline Diet” and “Simple Exercises to Build Bone Strength” were two talks given by Dr. Brown at Natur-Tyme’s Customer Appreciation Day Health Fair held on Aug 20, 2011, in East Syracuse, NY.
- Dr. Brown spoke at a members-only luncheon at The Century Club in Syracuse, NY on May 19, 2011. Her topic was Bone Health for Women.
- “Better Bones and Celiac Disease,” Dr. Brown spoke at the Feb 13, 2011 meeting of the CNY Celiac Support Group on Outsmarting Osteoporosis with the Better Bones Revolution. For more details go to http://www.cnyceliacs.org/.
- “Osteoporosis and Bone Health: 8 Keys for Preventing Osteoporosis and Building Bone Strength,” talk given at the CNY Chapter of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care in Syracuse, NY on Nov 11, 2009.
- “Rethinking Osteoporosis: Regaining Bone Health,” Webcast series, “Profound Paths to Health, Healing and Happiness” a free weekly TeleSeminar series hosted by Dr. Carol Robin, DC, CNN, December 3, 2008.
- “Vitamin D: What You Should Know to Prevent Osteoporosis and Hip Fractures,” lecture held at Drumlins Country Club, Syracuse, NY, July 9, 2008.
- “Emotional Wellness and Optimal Health,” a Women to Women event at the University of Southern Maine, Portland, ME, May 27, 2008.
- “Exploring the Overlooked Bone Health–Heart Health Link,” Natur-Tyme Health Food Store, Dewitt, NY, February 2008.
- Dr. Susan E. Brown, PhD, presented a discussion and produced a videotape on “Keys to Developing an Alkaline Diet” for the First National Perque Health Conference held in Virginia, November 2007.
- “Breakthroughs in Nutrition and Heart Health,” an expert panel at the American Heart Association, Syracuse, NY, October 24, 2007.
- “Vitamin D and Your Health,” lecture held at the Corinthian Club, Syracuse, NY, October 17, 2007.
- “Vitamin D and Children,” a talk given to the Holistic Moms Network of Syracuse, NY, June 14, 2007.
- “Nutrition and Health Inequalities,” a talk held at the Dunbar Association, Syracuse, NY, June 11, 2007.
- “Vitamin D: The Sunshine Vitamin That Can Save Your Life,” lecture held at the Corinthian Club, Syracuse, NY, May 16, 2007.
- “Better Bones, Better Body,” presentation given at the Louisiana Pelican Classic, Lafayette, LA, April 17, 2007.
- “Weight Loss and Bone Loss: How to Maintain Bone Density While Losing Weight,” Natur-Tyme Health Food Store, Dewitt, NY, January 2007.
- “Better Bone Strength at Any Age,” Duramed Women’s Forum held at the Links at Erie Village, Dewitt, NY, July 18, 2006.
Additional new service activities
- October 2006–2009: Dr. Brown was selected to serve on the Prevention Nutrition and Chronic Disease Council of the American College of Nutrition.
- Winter 2006–2007: Dr. Susan E. Brown, PhD, was selected as one of the local nutritionists to participate in the Syracuse Post Standard’s “Renovate Your Plate” series. During this time, Dr. Brown helped one of the participants reach a higher level of health through nutrition counseling.
- In May 2007, Dr. Brown was interviewed for a radio program and produced a CD on Acid–Alkaline Balance for Australian distribution with David Rodwell of Silver Tongued Angels Productions.